turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reberell

I am claiming 3 kids on my income tax but I owe child support on two other kids will IRS take my return for my 3 kids

I have 5 kids only pay child support for two the other 3 live with me and I will be claiming them will it's take my whole return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am claiming 3 kids on my income tax but I owe child support on two other kids will IRS take my return for my 3 kids

The IRS will take as much, including all of it, as is necessary to pay your debt, regardless of how many children you claim on your tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The IRS will take as much, including all of it, as is necessary to pay your debt, regardless of how many children you claim on your tax return.
adrs16

I have a question in regards to this. I too have back child support on 3 children. I now have remarried and we have 2 children. Will the IRS take all of my refund to goes toward arrearage even though the 2 children have no connection to the support order/arrears? I understand for IRS to take my portion but to take the deductions I can claim, along with the 11k in daycare expenses to give to my ex. just seems unfair.

The answer is the same as before. The IRS will take as much of your refund as is necessary to pay your debt. What factors make up the refund is not a consideration.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies