amymclare

I have a 1099-K from selling clothes on Ebay last year. But I sold them for less than I paid for them. How do I report this on taxes since I didn't make any money?

Rachel_W

Since your sales were reported on a 1099-K and the IRS receives a copy, you will need to report the sale of your used clothing on Ebay.  However, you can "zero out" the income since you sold the clothing for less than you originally paid, so it won't affect your taxes. 

Enter it under Wages & Income tab at the top: 

1. Scroll down and click Start next to Miscellaneous Income
  2. Choose Other reportable income
  3. Answer Yes to "Any Other Taxable Income?" 
  4. Under Description put "1099-K Personal Property Sales "
  5. Enter the amount from the 1099-K in the next box and click continue
  6. Click on "add another income item", 
  7. Under Description this time put "1099-K Cost of Personal Property"
  8. Enter the same amount but as a NEGATIVE number.
  9. On the Other Miscellaneous Income Summary make sure you see the 2 items, one positive and one negative and Total is $0.

Note: The IRS will not allow you to deduct a loss on personal items that you sell.

Juniortaco

So makes selling on eBay completely complicated and worthless!