Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
takacedon

I had to repay my tuition reimbursement for 2017. Can I deduct that under job expenses since it was related to my work?

I participated in an employer tuition reimbursement program for 2017. I would have to pay the school first and then request reimbursement after the course completed. I left the employer before the accepted time for reimbursement forgiveness. Therefore they withheld the funds from my final paycheck. Am I allowed to deduct this under my job related education expenses? I do not qualify for education credit. 

MarilynG

If you paid Education Expenses in 2017 yourself, then were reimbursed in 2017 and had to pay back the reimbursement in 2017, basically you paid the Education Expenses.

You could enter your tuition, books, fees, etc. into TurboTax.  You don't have to have a 1098-T in order to do this; just save documentation of what you paid. 

If you weren't in a degree program, you might still be eligible for a Lifetime Learning Credit. 

Here's some info about the Lifetime Learning Credit

MarilynG

smilli3

What if your income in the W2 is reflecting they paid you the reimbursement, even though you paid it back.  How do I address this in turbotax?