bersetd1

I filed my 2020 Tax Return. I have one child age 8 and another age 17. Why did I receive $250 total for the Advance Child tax credits?

Mike9241

if the 17 year-old will be 18 by the end of 2021, that child does not qualify for the credit.

A1. For tax year 2021, the Child Tax Credit is increased from $2,000 per qualifying child to:

• $3,600 for children ages 5 and under at the end of 2021; and
  • $3,000 for children ages 6 through 17 at the end of 2021.

Note: The $500 nonrefundable Credit for Other Dependents amount has not changed. For more information about the Credit for Other Dependents, see IRS Publication 972, Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents PDF.