Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didnt have enogh to itemzize last year(2020)but did have almost 4000 donated. Can i use that for 2021 as well

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I didnt have enogh to itemzize last year(2020)but did have almost 4000 donated. Can i use that for 2021 as well

You cannot carry them forward because you did not itemize for 2020.  In order to carry forward, you would have had to itemize and use what could have been used for 2020, then the rest would be carry forward. Since you took the standard deduction, you have nothing to carry forward.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You cannot apply a 2020 donation to 2021 taxes.

Why not? I'm not trying to be rude. Isn't this a carryover?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You cannot carry them forward because you did not itemize for 2020.  In order to carry forward, you would have had to itemize and use what could have been used for 2020, then the rest would be carry forward. Since you took the standard deduction, you have nothing to carry forward.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies