turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

malccasey

But I can still report the gas expense even though I don't report a vehicle expenses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

But I can still report the gas expense even though I don't report a vehicle expenses

I checked the other question that you asked stating that you were a sub-contractor and drove a vehicle not owned by you to do your deliveries.  Based on this question, I am assuming that you bought gasoline for the vehicle from your own funds. 

If the gasoline expenses were not reimbursed to you, or if they were reimbursed and included in the income that was reported to you, then yes, you can deduct the expenses for the gasoline as a business expense on your Schedule C.

Do not enter this expense in the vehicle section since that is only for using your own vehicle for business purposes.  Instead, you could enter it as a miscellaneous expense using the steps below:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c

• Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

• Click Edit beside your business

• Scroll to Business Expenses

• Click Edit beside Other Common Business Expenses

• Scroll to the bottom of the page

• Click Start or Update beside Other Miscellaneous Expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies