Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I became an independent contractor in 2018 and had some reimbursed expenses and some non-reimbursed expenses. How do I account for both?

Turbo-Tax only asks if *all* the expenses were reimbursed.  How do I account for both.  Also, the 1099 sent to me has the reimbursements shown as income.  Isn't that strange?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I became an independent contractor in 2018 and had some reimbursed expenses and some non-reimbursed expenses. How do I account for both?

It is not strange that 1099 shows the total amount you were paid. You will report all the income you received, including the reimbursed expenses on the income line and then you will deduct those expenses later on in the program. All the expenses you had in 2018 for your contractor job will be categorized in the expenses section of the program, and all the income, including the reimbursements will go on the income line. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi TurboTaxWill, Thank you for that.  The main question is, how to input both reimbursed and non-reimbursed expenses.  The TurboTax program seems to only allow one or the other.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies