Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kc1234

How do I indicate a charity is a 30% charity in Turbotax Premier online. I cannot access the charity worksheet directly and the interview defaults to 50%.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I indicate a charity is a 30% charity in Turbotax Premier online. I cannot access the charity worksheet directly and the interview defaults to 50%.

Ahhhh...I was wondering too.

Until the value of your donations exceeds 30% of your AGI, the software doesn't bother to ask...because all you've entered is allowed until that threshold is reached.

I was testing, and it seems to use the total of all donations to trigger the questions....then the questions appear after you "continue" from the "Review All Your Charities" table.
IF you  want to test it, go in and add a cash donation of some amount multi-$10k to one charity , such that the total exceeds 30% of your AGI....then when you move on to the full donations table, and you "Continue" at the "Review All Your Charities" screen, you will see a page that asks if ANY donations were to a 30% charity group...you say YES, and then you can select what each charity is on your list (30 or 50%).

Just be sure to go back to revisit your charity donations later and delete your phony test $$ before you go any further.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Ahhhh...I was wondering too.

Until the value of your donations exceeds 30% of your AGI, the software doesn't bother to ask...because all you've entered is allowed until that threshold is reached.

I was testing, and it seems to use the total of all donations to trigger the questions....then the questions appear after you "continue" from the "Review All Your Charities" table.
IF you  want to test it, go in and add a cash donation of some amount multi-$10k to one charity , such that the total exceeds 30% of your AGI....then when you move on to the full donations table, and you "Continue" at the "Review All Your Charities" screen, you will see a page that asks if ANY donations were to a 30% charity group...you say YES, and then you can select what each charity is on your list (30 or 50%).

Just be sure to go back to revisit your charity donations later and delete your phony test $$ before you go any further.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
kc1234

Trickery worked as you described. I don't think the triggering calculation takes into account the amount and character of any previous year's carryover so you can end up in the awkward situation I was in. Thanks again!

ahhhhhh...carry-overs.  Hadn't considered that.  That is a fairly rare situation.

Yeah, forcing the selection screens using a temporary triggering donation will allow you to select those 30/50% charity settings...but I'll need to check to see if they are kept when I get back to my desktop computer later today.....and how carryovers affect it.

Fooling around with it some...it seems to include the charity carryover $ in triggering the selection of 30% or 50% charities....but  you may need to go thru the charity carryover $$ questions first to make sure the carryover $$ are entered first, before entering your new 2016 Donations.   

That would especially be true if you did not transfer last year's tax file into this year's tax file, and are entering the Charity Carryover $$ manually....but I didn't test all situations...starting to get too complicated.

Click on Deductions and Credits, then Choose what I work on. Then go to Donations to Charity in 2016, and click Edit or Update. It should show you a list of your donations, then click done with donations. It should ask if its a 50% or 30% charity on that screen.

kc1234

That's the way I remember it working but not this year on a Mac using Safari, Netscape or Chrome. Does not give you the 30- 50% option. I will try to track down a PC with Internet Explorer.

I am using a Mac with Chrome and got those options. Browser and OS is irrelevant. Try going through that section again, as I got that question every time I continued.
kc1234

Tried Mac, PC and iPad with various browsers and apps and still not seeing option. Same applies to ItsDeductible. Not seeing 30% - 50% charity option. Using premier online version.
kc1234

Tried Mac, PC and iPad with various browsers and apps and still not seeing option. Same applies to ItsDeductible. Not seeing 30% - 50% charity option. Using premier online version.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies