Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amstranen

I am trying to enter the cost for a new metal roof. On the page to enter Improvements. I see doors and windows but no Roof. What am I missing?

I saw other posts showing the "tell us how much you paid for energy-saving improvements" page and it shows the windows, doors and roof.  My page shows only Insulation Mat or sys, Most expensive Exterior door, All other exterior doors, and exterior windows.  Where am I supposed to enter the roof?  Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I am trying to enter the cost for a new metal roof. On the page to enter Improvements. I see doors and windows but no Roof. What am I missing?

For tax years prior to 2023 certain roofs were eligible for the tax credit.  See IRS Form 5695 Instructions (2022) on page 2 under Qualified energy efficiency improvements - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i5695--2022.pdf

Any metal roof with appropriate pigmented coatings or asphalt roof with appropriate cooling granules that are specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat gain of your home.

For tax year 2023 the eligibility for certain roofs was removed.  See IRS Form 5695 Instructions (2023) on page 2 and 3 under Qualified energy efficiency improvementshttps://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

Qualified energy efficiency improvements. Qualified energy efficiency improvements are the following building envelope components installed on or in your main home that you owned during 2023 located in the United States if the original use of the component begins with you, the component can be expected to
remain in use at least 5 years, and the component meets certain energy standards.

• Any insulation material or system and air sealing material or system that is specifically and primarily  designed to reduce heat loss or gain of a home when installed in or on such a home.
• Exterior windows and skylights.
• Exterior doors.

Specific mention of roofs was removed from the code for 2023 and future years.

However, it might be possible that a roof would still count as a "building envelope component."  

A building envelope component is "any insulation material or system, including air sealing material or system, which is specifically and primarily designed to reduce the heat loss or gain of a dwelling unit  when installed in or on such dwelling unit".

To be eligible, the component or system must meet these efficiency standards:

(A)I n the case of an exterior window or skylight, Energy Star most efficient certification requirements,
(B) in the case of an exterior door, applicable Energy Star requirements, and 
(C) in the case of any other component, the prescriptive criteria for such component established by the most recent International Energy Conservation Code standard in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year which is 2 years prior to the calendar year in which such component is placed in service.

So if the roof is rated by the IECC, and if the roof meets or exceeds the standard for energy saving roofs that were published in 2021, then a roof could qualify.  If IECC doesn't rate roofs, then the roof won't qualify any more. 
amstranen

I have verified that I have a qualified roof for the new guidelines prior to purchase.  The problem I have is that on my turbo tax page there is no box labeled for the Roof.   Why is there no ROOF BOX?

@amstranen wrote:

I have verified that I have a qualified roof for the new guidelines prior to purchase.  The problem I have is that on my turbo tax page there is no box labeled for the Roof.   Why is there no ROOF BOX?

Because there is no "roof" box on the tax form any longer.  

Be aware that in Turbotax, there are two credits in the same interview, one for the residential clean energy credit (solar, heat pump etc.) and a separate credit for energy efficient property improvements. Skip past the clean energy credits and go to the efficient property credits.  One of the improvements should be "building envelope components."

Also note, the updated form has been delayed several times in Turbotax.  The most recent update was supposed to happen last night at midnight but I have not tried to verify to see that this has happened.  

I'm having the same issue.  They really should add "roof" back on the form, or add a list of materials that qualify.  I'm guessing it goes in the Insulation Material or system spot.

@nottap63 wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  They really should add "roof" back on the form, or add a list of materials that qualify.  I'm guessing it goes in the Insulation Material or system spot.

For tax year 2023 the cost of a new roof was removed from the items eligible for the Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit

Go to the Form 5695 Residential Energy Credit Instructions (2023) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

As indicated by Opus 17, move past the clean energy credit and go to the 'Energy-Saving Improvements' credit to select the cost of any material for insulation that may be included for your roof.  You cannot include any labor costs for preparation, or assembly.  

Also, as indicated by DoninGa, the only mention of roof is related to solar clean energy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I also saw that it's only a credit of $500 but if we're adding the roof to the insulation system or material spot, it's $1200.  Very confusing.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Yes, the credit may vary depending on the type of improvements. The roofing improvements that qualify for 2023 may be entered under solar electric costs or solar water heating costs, or under insulation, as mentioned by @Opus 17, @DoninGA, and @DianeW777, depending on what about the item qualifies for the credit. 

Installing a metal roof doesn't automatically qualify for the Residential Clean Energy Credit. However, if you invest in certain types of solar roofing equipment like solar roofing tiles and shingles which serve as both a form of solar electric generation and traditional roofing, or as insulation, such investments can qualify for the credit.

Roofs (Metal and Asphalt)  - a credit of 30% up to the applicable limit is available for roofing materials that meet the requirements and have the proper pigmented coatings and cooling granules. This credit does not cover installation costs.

You may be able to take a credit of 30% of your costs of qualified solar electric property, solar water heating property, small wind energy property, geothermal heat pump property, battery storage technology, and fuel cell property. Include any labor costs properly allocable to the onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the residential clean energy property and for piping or wiring to interconnect such property to the home. The credit amount for costs paid for qualified fuel cell property is limited to $500 for each one-half kilowatt of capacity of the property.

Qualified solar electric property costs.

Qualified solar electric property costs are costs for property that uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in your home located in the United States. No costs relating to a solar panel or other property installed as a roof (or portion thereof) will fail to qualify solely because the property constitutes a structural component of the structure on which it is installed. 

Some solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles serve the function of both traditional roofing and solar electric collectors and thus serve functions of both solar electric generation and structural support. These solar roofing tiles and solar roofing shingles can qualify for the credit. This is in contrast to structural components such as a roof's decking or rafters that serve only a roofing or structural function and thus do not qualify for the credit.

See the IRS Instructions for Form 5695 and this TurboTax help article for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No offense moniKaK1 but your whole previous post didn't answer anyone's question as to where the roof credit should be added. As I stated before, if it's added to the component spot, it calculates at 30%, not 10%. Turbo Tax needs to upgrade their form and add a "roof" option that calculates correctly.  

@nottap63 wrote:

No offense moniKaK1 but your whole previous post didn't answer anyone's question as to where the roof credit should be added. As I stated before, if it's added to the component spot, it calculates at 30%, not 10%. Turbo Tax needs to upgrade their form and add a "roof" option that calculates correctly.  

As mentioned, Congress specifically removed "roofs" from the tax code.  Instead, there is "building envelope component."  This is a general term for any system "that is specifically and primarily  designed to reduce heat loss or gain of a home when installed in or on such a home."  If you believe your roof meets the efficiency standards specified by the IECC, you should include it in the box for "Insulation material or system."

As a result of changes in the Inflation Reduction Act, the credit has been revised to a maximum of 30%, not 10%, and a revised maximum total dollar amount of $1200.  However, you may only include the cost of materials, not labor or installation.

The Turbotax interview follows IRS form 5695.  It can't go off on its own.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies