Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chang1
Returning Member

I am not a US citizen and I have an IRA account in my home country. Is it a "foreign financial account" or an "other foreign financial asset" for form 8938?

As title. I don't quite understand the difference between Foreign Financial Accounts and Other Foreign Financial Assets.

Last year I filed my life insurances and a foreign IRA as Other Foreign Financial Assets. It seems wrong? Although it didn't affect my final tax amount, do I need to amend the last year's filing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I am not a US citizen and I have an IRA account in my home country. Is it a "foreign financial account" or an "other foreign financial asset" for form 8938?

@chang1 ,  while this  is probably not a tax event, I would be very interested in understanding the situation and as much as I can .  Please can you tell me  --- what visa status ( citizen/ GreenCard/ Resident for Tax purposes ),  family status, country of origin & where you presumably have pension account,  etc. etc.   If you are uncomfortable  in putting details here , you are welcome to PM me with the details ( just no Personally Identifiable  information please ).

pk

chang1
Returning Member

Hi @pk,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm married and both my spouse and I are US permanent residents.

Are the categories of my accounts/assets dependent on my nationality?

Chang

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@chang1 , quote from instructions of form 8938:

"   Interests in Foreign Pension Plans and Foreign Deferred Compensation Plans
Report in Part VI your interest in the foreign pension plan or foreign deferred compensation plan. Do not separately report the assets held by the plan. See Valuing Interests in Foreign Estates, Foreign Pension Plans, and Foreign Deferred Compensation Plans, later.  "

Hopefully this answers your question.   If you need more on this , please  add to this post  ( or  PM me ).

pk

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies