Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am an Uber driver and don’t have copies of my gas receipts will I still be able to deduct ??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am an Uber driver and don’t have copies of my gas receipts will I still be able to deduct ??

Any credit card or debit card records?

There are 2 methods to deduct car expenses as an independent contractor.

You can use the standard mileage rate method.  This is around 55 cents per mile (it changes each year) and covers all your car expenses including fuel, maintenance, repairs, and wear and tear.  To use this method you must have accurate records of the: date, time, mileage driven and business purpose of each trip.  (Uber may provide this in the app.)

Or you can use the actual expense method.  You need the same mileage records, plus you need the total of all miles driven in the year (business plus personal), plus you need records of all your car expenses (gas, maintenance, repairs).  You can include depreciation (wear and tear) and lease payments if the vehicle is leased.  You are allowed to deduct the percentage of expenses that equals your percentage of business use.  (For example, if you drove 20,000 miles and 12,000 miles was for Uber, you could deduct 60% of your actual expenses.)

The IRS will expect that you have accurate business records and be able to prove your expenses if audited; the IRS does not have to allow any deduction you can't prove.

If you track your fuel purchases in an app, or accounting software like Quicken or Mint, but don't keep the actual receipts, then it will be up to the auditor.  If your business records are generally in good order, they may allow the fuel expense even without receipts, but it depends on the person and how they are feeling that day.   If your records are sloppy and not well kept, they may not allow any expense without a receipt.

See more specifically chapter 4 here https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

I should add that the standard mileage method is more favorable for most taxpayers, and has a lower record keeping burden, but the only way to know which method gives you the best deduction is to check both ways.  And there are some times you are not allowed to use the standard method, as listed in chapter 4.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies