I am a truck driver. I am allowed by tax laws 58.3...

lv-dougprice

I am a truck driver. I am allowed by tax laws 58.33 a day per diem. This is a non-reimbursed expense. where do I put this entry?

AmeliesUncle

Are you self employed?

Are you traveling away from your "tax home" overnight?

lv-dougprice

I worked for CR England, I am OTR, month at a time

DaveF1006

According to awesome Turbo Tax Agent Dawn C, she states, the following:

"Yes, there were changes due to Tax Reform.  Employees can no longer take federal deductions for meals.  However, some states do allow the deduction and self-employed workers can still take the deduction.  

• If you are a W-2 employee, you cannot deduct these expenses.
  • If you are a 1099 independent contractor or another self-employed taxpayer, you can still use the Per Diem Rates to figure your deduction. "

If you fall in the latter category, you can report his by:

1. Logging into Turbo Tax.
  2. Go to federal>income and expenses>
  3. Scroll down to See all income. In the Self-employment section, click Start next to Self-employment income and expenses
  4. Answer Yes to Did you have any self-employment income or expenses?
  5. Continue through the interview to enter your business information.
  6.  After you enter your profile of your business, there is a section where you will enter your income and expenses.
  7. After entering your income, you can start entering meal expenses. Here is where you enter the total meals per year based from your per diem amount.
  8. Note. make sure you list Truck Driver as an occupation. this should give you a business code of 484120.  This way you get a 100% deduction of your per diem rate rate.