If you have to use your personal vehicle to drive the children around, you can claim these vehicle costs as job-related expenses.
Job-related expenses are subject to the 2% rule and you can only claim the excess over 2% of your adjusted gross income.
Please note that Itemized Deductions will only "help" when they exceed your standard deduction.
For 2017, standard deductions are:
For a taxpayer under 65, not claimed as a dependent:
- $6,350 for Single
- $12,700 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child
- $9,350 for Head of Household
- $6,350 for Married Filing Separately
- If you are over 65 or blind, add $1,250 for each instance or add $1,550 each instance if single and not a surviving spouse
You can deduct your job-related expenses by following these steps:
- In TurboTax, open your tax return
- Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
- Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Employment Expenses and click on Show more
- Click Start next to Job expenses for W-2 Income.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"