Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a F1 visa holder and I did not file for extension, so I was wondering if I can still get a tax return for 2023?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am a F1 visa holder and I did not file for extension, so I was wondering if I can still get a tax return for 2023?

A 2023 tax return can still be e-filed until October 15, 2024; after that, e-filing for 2023 will close and returns will have to be filed by mail.   If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for missing the April 15 filing deadline.  If you owe tax due, you will owe with late filing penalties and interest, for which the IRS will bill you later.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What year did you come to the US?  If you have been in the US on the F-1 visa for five or fewer calendar years, TurboTax is not able to prepare your tax return.

If you are required to file a tax return, you need to do, regardless if you filed an extension or not.  Whether or not you get a refund or if you owe more tax will depend on your specific circumstances.

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Ulug670873 , agreeing with answers from my colleagues @xmasbaby0  and @AmeliesUncle ,  in addition to  :

(a) when did you enter the US with F-1; was this your first visit or were you here with another visa earlier;

we still need to know  :

(b) where are  you from -- this is because  for some countries  ( India for example )    US -  other country  tax treaty dictates treatment of various deductions.

Your question about  "extention request "  really  is not as important as filing your return as quickly as possible -- I say this because  all it assures you is that the penalty for not filing ( if )  would be waived -- but it is rarely applied  un less one is habitually ignoring the laws and requirements thereof.

Is there more one of us can do for you ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies