pher

I am a co-borrower on a mortgage (50-50 split). Should "Original Loan Balance" and "Balance on Jan 1" be the full loan amount or half?

To be clear, I am not talking about "Your portion of mortgage interest" or "Outstanding mortgage principal." I understand those are to be split in half compared to what's on the 1098. What I'm not sure of is if the Original Loan Balance and Balance on Jan 1 should also be split or not. This may be important as if it's the full amount, it's over the $750,000 cap, but if half amount, it is under.

fanfare

You can't deduct half of what you cant deduct.
fanfare

if you are splitting interest enter the full amounts as shown on the 1098, except for the interest you are claiming which should be one half the interest.

pher

Sorry, I don't understand if this response is actually answering what I'm looking for. I'm not asking about the interest but rather the "original loan balance" and "Balance on Jan 1."