turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived, worked, and paid taxes overseas for 2016. Can the foreign earned income exclusion (form 2555) be used for state (Michigan) and local (Lansing) income taxes?

I worked overseas as a teacher for all of 2016 and am claiming the foreign earned income exclusion for the money earned there.  I own a house in Lansing, Michigan, and my wife lived there for 7 months of the year. She has no earned income.  I have some self-employment income from Michigan earned during summer vacation from school.  My question is: does the foreign income exclusion also apply to my state of Michigan taxes? And how about the city of Lansing income tax? Am I required to file in both Michigan and Lansing?  Thanks!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I lived, worked, and paid taxes overseas for 2016. Can the foreign earned income exclusion (form 2555) be used for state (Michigan) and local (Lansing) income taxes?

1 Reply

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies