Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ludemank

HSA over contribution 2024 for 2024 Tax Year

Question -

I have two HSA's for two different companies.  If I were to over contribute to both by 2k - but leverage the HSA to cover 5k in approved medical costs - reducing my tax liability - can i continue to contribute into the HSA's up to the max allowed or is the calendar year contribution a hard line once you hit it?  In other words, if I flex up and down on the max family contribution limit - and i'm below the line - can i continue to contribute if I've already exceeded the line previously?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Distributions from the HSA have no bearing on the amount that you are eligible to contribute.  The limit is on how much you put in for the year and is unaffected by any amount that you spend on medical expenses.  If your combined contributions already exceed the annual limit by $2k, you already have a $2k excess contribution that is subject to penalty unless corrected by a return of excess contribution by the due date of the corresponding year's tax return, including extensions, and you are ineligible to contribute any more for that year, 2024 in this case.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I will page @dmertz. Please check back later.

dmertz
Level 15

Distributions from the HSA have no bearing on the amount that you are eligible to contribute.  The limit is on how much you put in for the year and is unaffected by any amount that you spend on medical expenses.  If your combined contributions already exceed the annual limit by $2k, you already have a $2k excess contribution that is subject to penalty unless corrected by a return of excess contribution by the due date of the corresponding year's tax return, including extensions, and you are ineligible to contribute any more for that year, 2024 in this case.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies