• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtb9710

HSA logic is wrong. "Did Joe inherit this HSA? If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer No." It should say "If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer YES"

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VolvoGirl
Level 15

HSA logic is wrong. "Did Joe inherit this HSA? If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer No." It should say "If you inherited this HSA from a spouse, answer YES"

Finally found a post with an answer.....

This is a confusing way that TurboTax reminds you that if you inherited an HSA from your spouse, it's now an HSA owned by you, not an inherited IRA, and you must answer No when asked if it's an inherited IRA.  Only answer Yes if you inherited the HSA from someone other than your spouse.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VolvoGirl
Level 15

I remember reading about this earlier.  It’s right.  I think because a spouse doesn’t count.  I’m looking for the prior posts.
djhallturbo

There appear to be two parts to the presentation of the question:
    (1) Did you inherit this HSA? (yes or no)?
         In other words, did you inherit this HSA from someone other than your spouse? Answer Yes.
    (2) If you inherited this HSA from your spouse, answer No.
        If you inherited this HSA from your spouse it (apparently) doesn't count as an inherited HSA.
--- Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional.
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Finally found a post with an answer.....

This is a confusing way that TurboTax reminds you that if you inherited an HSA from your spouse, it's now an HSA owned by you, not an inherited IRA, and you must answer No when asked if it's an inherited IRA.  Only answer Yes if you inherited the HSA from someone other than your spouse.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v