Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Distributions

In 2023 I took a $2,500 distribution from my HSA. I have accumulated HSA-eligible medical expenses over a period of 10 years following the establishment of my HSA amounting to $30,000. In 2023 I have large medical expenses which can be included as an itemized deduction. Turbotax is applying the $2,500 HSA distribution as an offset to my 2023 medical expenses, which effectively reduces my 2023 medical tax deduction. My understanding is that the 2023 HSA distribution can be applied against any of my HSA medical expenses, including those that arose prior to 2023. The software does not appear to be allow me to make this type of designation. My workaround would be to inflate my 2023 medical expenses by $2,500 so that the net deduction is correct (meaning that I am applying the HSA distribution to pre-2023 medical expenses).

Thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

HSA Distributions

You have found the correct workaround.  You must enter as Other medical expenses the amount of your HSA distribution that you used to reimburse yourself for prior-year qualified medical expenses.  This is necessary to accommodate TurboTax's built-in assumption that an HSA distribution is only being applied to current-year qualified medical expenses.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

HSA Distributions

You have found the correct workaround.  You must enter as Other medical expenses the amount of your HSA distribution that you used to reimburse yourself for prior-year qualified medical expenses.  This is necessary to accommodate TurboTax's built-in assumption that an HSA distribution is only being applied to current-year qualified medical expenses.

HSA Distributions

since you are reimbursing prior years did you take a tax deduction for those medical expenses? if not everything is fine. if so, then there would be a tax benefit in 2023 that likely would need to be reported as income not a reduction of the current year's medical expenses. 

dmertz
Level 15

HSA Distributions

Also, qualified medical expenses with respect to an HSA distribution are only those incurred after establishment of the HSA.  Medical expenses incurred before establishment of the HSA are not qualified expenses.

HSA Distributions

Thanks

HSA Distributions

Only using HSA to reimburse medical expenses that arose after the establishment of the HSA and that were incurred during a year where I did not otherwise receive a tax benefit via itemizing my medical expenses.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies