Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to pass Sub-S above the line health insurance deduction to personal return?

Hi:

Health insurance premiums paid by my wholly owned sub-S can be deducted on my personal return, reducing Adjusted Gross Income.  They are included in box 1 of the W2 I generated with Business TurboTax and they are included in box 14 with the label "Health Ins".  I enter the W2 into my personal return with TurboTax Premium, but no reduction of my AGI appears.  How do I make my 1040 reflect that?  Do I enter it somewhere else in my personal return?  Or do I need to make it somehow appear on my K-1?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Enter the health insurance premiums paid by your S-Corp in the K-1 section of TurboTax.

To enter the K-1 from your S-Corp into your personal 1040 return, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Personal Income > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Under S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts [in desktop:  Business Investment and Trust Income], click on the Update box next to Schedule K-1
  3. On the Tell Us About Your Schedules K-1 screen, click on the Start/Update box next to S corporations (Form 1120S).  
  4. If you have already entered K-1 SCorp information, you will see the SCorp. K-1 Summary screen.  Click Add Another K-1 to enter your information  (or click on Edit to continue with the existing form entry).  
  5. If you haven't started enter K-1S information, continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  6. When you come to the Other Situations screen, mark the box I personally paid health insurance and/or long-term care insurance premiums . . .
  7. On the next screen, Self-Employed Health Insurance, enter your Medicare wages and the health Insurance Premiums you paid personally.

The premiums will show on Schedule 1 of the 1040 as an subtraction to income.

View solution in original post

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

While a K-1 for a partnership would have an entry for health insurance, S-Corp K-1s do not.  The insurance amount is shown on the shareholder's W-2 (as yours has).

According to the IRS Instructions for Form 1120S (p. 16):

Report amounts paid for health insurance coverage for a more-than-2% shareholder (including that shareholder's spouse, dependents, and any children under age 27 who aren't dependents) as an information item in box 14 of that shareholder's Form W-2. A more-than-2% shareholder may be allowed to deduct such amounts on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 16. To find out if the shareholder can claim this deduction, see Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction in chapter 6 of Pub. 535, Business Expenses.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

If the health insurance was NOT through the Healthcare Marketplace (with a 1095-A), then go through the section where you enter your K-1.  Look for the check-box that asks about health insurance, then check that and answer ALL of the followup questions.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Enter the health insurance premiums paid by your S-Corp in the K-1 section of TurboTax.

To enter the K-1 from your S-Corp into your personal 1040 return, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Personal Income > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Under S-corps, Partnerships, and Trusts [in desktop:  Business Investment and Trust Income], click on the Update box next to Schedule K-1
  3. On the Tell Us About Your Schedules K-1 screen, click on the Start/Update box next to S corporations (Form 1120S).  
  4. If you have already entered K-1 SCorp information, you will see the SCorp. K-1 Summary screen.  Click Add Another K-1 to enter your information  (or click on Edit to continue with the existing form entry).  
  5. If you haven't started enter K-1S information, continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  6. When you come to the Other Situations screen, mark the box I personally paid health insurance and/or long-term care insurance premiums . . .
  7. On the next screen, Self-Employed Health Insurance, enter your Medicare wages and the health Insurance Premiums you paid personally.

The premiums will show on Schedule 1 of the 1040 as an subtraction to income.

Thank you so much, Irene!  The AGI is reduced as I desire.  One follow-on question, however.  Since this is in the K-1 section, I assume the insurance amount should appear on the K-1 generated by my Sub-S.  The health insurance appears in box 14 of my W-2 and is included in box 1, but I don’t know how to get it to appear on my K-1.  So can you help me one more time so that I can maneuver through TurboTax Business and get the health insurance on to my K-1?

Thanks again.

Terry

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

While a K-1 for a partnership would have an entry for health insurance, S-Corp K-1s do not.  The insurance amount is shown on the shareholder's W-2 (as yours has).

According to the IRS Instructions for Form 1120S (p. 16):

Report amounts paid for health insurance coverage for a more-than-2% shareholder (including that shareholder's spouse, dependents, and any children under age 27 who aren't dependents) as an information item in box 14 of that shareholder's Form W-2. A more-than-2% shareholder may be allowed to deduct such amounts on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 16. To find out if the shareholder can claim this deduction, see Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction in chapter 6 of Pub. 535, Business Expenses.

Thanks again, Irene.  These little subtleties are hard to find online.  I am impressed with the knowledge you have at your fingertips.  You have solved a major issue for me.

Terry

Hello @Irene2805 , my situation is a bit different I think but would appreciate your insight.

I am the son of shareholders for a sub-s corp and receive fringe benefits as an employee (w-2) of the s-corp. This is the first year that our accountant has included me in the de-facto "2% shareholder" group and my Simple IRA and health insurance premiums now show as income on my w-2 and need to be entered as an above the line deduction . How do I do this in turbotax home & business 2021 desktop without a K-1? I do not own any shares of the s-corp but I am an officer if it matters. I see lines 16 & 17 of Form 1040 Schedule 1 is where the deductible amounts need to show up. 

Thank you for your help,

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would report the health insurance on Line 17 and the IRA on Line 16.

Reporting 2% Defacto Shareholder Health Insurance

The question is more "How Do I use TurboTax step-by-step to enter the number so it shows up on line 17 of schedule 1?"

This is  a calculated field and a worksheet is needed. I figured out how to pull the form "Health LTC Wks" into the file, but I am wanting to use the step-by-step feature to do this for piece of mind that its getting put in all the places to prompt me for more info later if needed.

Thank you!

@bradkuhl wrote:

The question is more "How Do I use TurboTax step-by-step to enter the number so it shows up on line 17 of schedule 1?"

Enter a K-1.

I know that you don't have a K-1, but that is what you need to do.  Borrow a copy of your relative's K-1 so you can enter the name, address and ID number of the S-corporation.  But then enter zero for the income.

While in the K-1 section, there will be question about health insurance.  Check that box, and answer all of the followup questions (be sure to answer the question about Box 5 of your W-2).

Thank you, i had resolved to myself that i did, infact need or should have a K-1 at this point. I will have to see what i can do. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies