Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxhero2

How to deduct travel scholarship reimbursement for research study? I have kept all the receipts. The scholarship was awarded to me to reimburse qualified travel expenses.

I received a research travel scholarship that assisted me in conducting my dissertation research study, to earn a graduate degree. The scholarship was paid to me as reimbursement for "qualified expenses" (Lodging, Miles Driven, Uber/Lyft Receipts, Food, etc.) So it was not a real income per se and I used all the money (about 5k) to pay for a portion of my travel expenses for research which is basically a requirement of my degree. (I know books and supplies are deductible because they are required for a course or to earn a degree but as an advanced grad student I don't have required books but I have expectations about conducting research from my dissertation committee members). The scholarship is showing up on my 1098-T as "Travel Scholarship Grad". I have all the receipts that I submitted to the school and receive the reimbursement.  Is there any way to deduct that scholarship and classify it as a non-taxable income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

How to deduct travel scholarship reimbursement for research study? I have kept all the receipts. The scholarship was awarded to me to reimburse qualified travel expenses.

Travel is not a deductible expense.  This means, it is income that you cannot take a deduction for. Any scholarships used to cover travel expenses are taxable. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies