turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to claim partially reimbursed mileage expenses?

I was required to drive from my normal job location to another location for 3 months. I was reimbursed for .38 cents per mile but would like to claim the difference between the .38 cents and the IRS .54 cents fro that 3 month time.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeeM

How to claim partially reimbursed mileage expenses?

You can enter the unreimbursed business expenses under Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits, then select I'll choose what I work on and then Job-Related Expenses under Employment Expenses. You will need to enter ALL business miles driven and vehicle information first in the interview questions. Then as you continue through the interview, it will ask for reimbursement information.

You can potentially write off the mileage driven for work minus the mileage you were reimbursed for. If you are an employee and receive a W-2, you can deduct unreimbursed vehicle expenses as job expenses, but you must be able to itemize your deductions

For instance, the IRS standard mileage rate is $.54/mile. If you drove 100 miles ($54 at the standard IRS rate) but the company only reimbursed you $38.00, you could deduct the additional $16 as an unreimbursed business expense. Even then, only the amount above 2% of your adjusted gross income is deductible.

Note:  You cannot deduct the miles you commute to and from work, or any expenses you were reimbursed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies