Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How is “not for resale” judged exactly, re: used EV credit?

The “Used Clean Vehicle Credit” from the Inflation Reduction Act provides for up to a $4,000 credit for certain used EVs or PHEVs, but one condition is that you must have purchased it from a dealer “for use and not for resale.”  This seems to speak only to intent, so I’m wondering what criteria would be used to judge whether you’re in actual compliance or not?  (Obviously, even individuals who buy a vehicle “for use” and make use of it for some period of time will eventually resell it.  Or you may have had the purpose of “use” in mind when buying it, which complies with the language of the regulation, but then circumstances may change and prompt you to resell.)

Is it sufficient that I’m not a registered dealer and that I put some non-zero amount of miles on the vehicle before reselling, or do I need to hold it a specific amount of time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How is “not for resale” judged exactly, re: used EV credit?

It has to do with intent ... you cannot buy the car knowing you will immediately resell it like inventory on a used car lot.  Eventually everyone will sell their  personal vehicles which is normal but for the credit you must buy the car in your personal name and intend to use it personally and not resell it shortly after purchase to make a profit.   FYI ... the cost basis must be reduced by the credit taken so if you do sell it shortly after purchase you very well could have a taxable capital gain.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies