Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How is Dependent Care Credit calculated?

I know the program will calculate it for you but I am just very curious how is the Dependent Care Credit calculated. So we spent in total 10,000$ in daycare for my kids in 2022. and among this 10k,  we have the 5k income withheld reimbursed. how come the dependent care credit is 200$? So you use the amount of expense total minus the 5000$, then multiply a rate depending on your AGI? To get 200$ that means our rate is only 4%?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The Dependent Care Credit is worth as much as 35% of your qualified expenses, up to $3,000, (for one qualifying person), and $6,000 (for two or more qualifying persons). Your percentage depends on your adjusted gross income, with the higher percentages applying to lower incomes and vice-versa.

For example, a married couple supporting two qualifying persons who paid $6,000 in qualified expenses may qualify for up to $2,100 in credits, depending on their adjusted gross income. 

For more information about the credit, please see this TurboTax Help article.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you look at the form 2441 you will see that the max of $6K for 2 kids is first reduced by the $5K from the FSA leaving only $1K for the credit  x  20%  =  $400 credit. 

It is not figured this way ... $10K  - $5K fsa = $5K x 20% = $1000 credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies