Solved: How do I review the sale of my rental property?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

How do I review the sale of my rental property?

I am preparing my 2020 taxes. I entered info for the sale of a rental property. TT now lists my total profit from the sale, but I cannot figure out how to go back to that section and review my info before I finalize things. When I click "update" it just asks if I want to list another sale, then it goes right back to the summary page.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tax Expert

In order to view the information in your return and make changes you would:

In TurboTax Online:

Go to Income & Expenses, then Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E), Edit/Add,  and Edit. The categories that you have used to enter information will be available to Edit. Click the Edit Button of the category that you want to review.

In TurboTax Desktop:

Open Return, Click on Business, then Rental Properties and then the Update button.

You should be able to review the information that you want to see.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

You can view all of you return or just the 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Preview your entire return: Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form: Select Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.
Level 3

Yes, I can review the return before filing, but what if I need to AMEND this info? Every other aspect of my return can be revisited and I can edit the info I've entered. Why is this particular topic different?

Employee Tax Expert

In order to view the information in your return and make changes you would:

In TurboTax Online:

Go to Income & Expenses, then Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E), Edit/Add,  and Edit. The categories that you have used to enter information will be available to Edit. Click the Edit Button of the category that you want to review.

In TurboTax Desktop:

Open Return, Click on Business, then Rental Properties and then the Update button.

You should be able to review the information that you want to see.

View solution in original post

Level 3

Oh, thank you. I thought I should be able to get there from "Business Income and Expenses > Less Common Business Situations > Sale of Business Property > Update" because this is where my final profit appears.

Employee Tax Expert

You are welcome. I'm glad that the information helped.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings