Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CWS3
Level 2

How do I report to Turbotax a number being calculated wrong? Or how can I edit the number myself? It won't let me

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I report to Turbotax a number being calculated wrong? Or how can I edit the number myself? It won't let me

@CWS3 Just do not see how this calculation could be incorrect.  

As stated on Line 26 of the Form 8962 -

Net premium tax credit. If line 24 is greater than line 25, subtract line 25 from line 24. Enter the difference here and on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 9. If line 24 equals line 25, enter -0-. Stop here. If line 25 is greater than line 24, leave this line blank and continue to line 27

The only other thing to do would be look at a diagnostic file from your tax return.  But that can only be requested by a TurboTax support agent or a TurboTax Tax Expert.  Both of which I am not, since I am not a TurboTax employee.

The only other information available is from the Form 8962 instructions for Line 26 -

Line 26
If line 24 is greater than line 25, subtract line 25 from line 24 and enter the result on line 26. This result is the amount of your PTC that is more than the APTC paid, your net PTC. This amount will reduce the amount of tax you must pay with your tax return or increase your refund. Also enter the amount from line 26 on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 9. Skip lines 27 through 29. If line 24 is equal to line 25, enter -0- on line 26 and skip lines 27
through 29.

If you elected the alternative calculation for year of marriage, and line 24 is greater than line 25, enter -0- on line 26 and skip lines 27 through 29.

Does any of the above for Line 26 apply to your situation?

View solution in original post

9 Replies

What number and on which form and Line number on the form, federal or state?

be aware if you override the form you will not be able to e-file.

CWS3
Level 2

On Federal form 8962 line 26 it should be line 24 minus line 25 which would give me $344 but its showing 0. My line 24 is bigger than line 25 per instructions

CWS3
Level 2

How do you override the number? When I right click the number on forms in the desktop edition override is grayed out and won't let me choose it.

Not sure this will solve the problem but you should try deleting the Form 1095-A and then delete the Form 8962.

Re-enter the Form 1095-A and take a look at the Form 8962 that was created to see if you still see this problem.

These are simple calculations where TurboTax does quite well in providing the correct calculated number on the various forms and schedules. 

CWS3
Level 2

Thank you, I will give it a try. 

CWS3
Level 2

It's still not calculating it correctly. I agree turbotax normally doesn't have these issues. 

Since I can't find a way to change the number manually in forms is my only remedy to fill out a new form 8962 by hand along with a new 1040 since the number reported on there is wrong?

@CWS3 Just do not see how this calculation could be incorrect.  

As stated on Line 26 of the Form 8962 -

Net premium tax credit. If line 24 is greater than line 25, subtract line 25 from line 24. Enter the difference here and on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 9. If line 24 equals line 25, enter -0-. Stop here. If line 25 is greater than line 24, leave this line blank and continue to line 27

The only other thing to do would be look at a diagnostic file from your tax return.  But that can only be requested by a TurboTax support agent or a TurboTax Tax Expert.  Both of which I am not, since I am not a TurboTax employee.

The only other information available is from the Form 8962 instructions for Line 26 -

Line 26
If line 24 is greater than line 25, subtract line 25 from line 24 and enter the result on line 26. This result is the amount of your PTC that is more than the APTC paid, your net PTC. This amount will reduce the amount of tax you must pay with your tax return or increase your refund. Also enter the amount from line 26 on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 9. Skip lines 27 through 29. If line 24 is equal to line 25, enter -0- on line 26 and skip lines 27
through 29.

If you elected the alternative calculation for year of marriage, and line 24 is greater than line 25, enter -0- on line 26 and skip lines 27 through 29.

Does any of the above for Line 26 apply to your situation?

CWS3
Level 2

Oh thanks, I did elect the alternative calculation for year of marriage but missed that part in the instructions when I was looking for what went wrong. 

So yeah turbotax was correct putting 0 down. Thanks for your help and keeping me from messing up my return!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies