turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fburkhead

How do I report mortgage interest received from my son?

I loaned my son the money to buy a house and he started paying me back with interest in 2015.  How do I report the interest I earned?  What form should I send him to report interest he paid?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do not need to issue a 1098 to your son since you are not in the business of making loans.  If you would like to issue a 1098 you can, but you are not required.

You report the loan interest under Federal Taxes - Wages & Income - Interest and Dividends.  If you do not see the Interest and Dividends section please select the down arrow beside "Help me add other income" and then "Jump to full list".

The interest on the loan is entered in the same area as interest reported on a 1099-Int.  The TurboTax entry screens assume you have a 1099-Int but you can enter interest here without a 1099.  On the first screen say "Yes" and then on the next screen say "I'll type it in myself".  The entry screen is set up to resemble a 1099-Int but this is where you will enter the income.  In the Received from box enter your son's name.  In the Interest income box enter your interest income amount.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You do not need to issue a 1098 to your son since you are not in the business of making loans.  If you would like to issue a 1098 you can, but you are not required.

You report the loan interest under Federal Taxes - Wages & Income - Interest and Dividends.  If you do not see the Interest and Dividends section please select the down arrow beside "Help me add other income" and then "Jump to full list".

The interest on the loan is entered in the same area as interest reported on a 1099-Int.  The TurboTax entry screens assume you have a 1099-Int but you can enter interest here without a 1099.  On the first screen say "Yes" and then on the next screen say "I'll type it in myself".  The entry screen is set up to resemble a 1099-Int but this is where you will enter the income.  In the Received from box enter your son's name.  In the Interest income box enter your interest income amount.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies