Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jennmassi

How do I enter net proceeds in the second home sale section when I only have a 1099-S showing gross proceeds?

The only box available is for net proceeds. Do I calculate this myself and enter THAT amount? Or do I enter the GROSS amount that the 1099-S states, which is a WAY over inflated number compared to what I actually received.  ALSO, I already had to fill out forms to have taxes withheld from the proceeds, so some money has already been withheld by the state. Where do I enter this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

How do I enter net proceeds in the second home sale section when I only have a 1099-S showing gross proceeds?

When you receive Form 1099-S, you must enter the gross amount shown in Box 2 as "net proceeds" (this field name is a quirk in that section of TurboTax).

Be sure to check the box for "I have selling expenses not reported..." in order to enter all your selling expenses (see screenshot below - click to enlarge).

Also, click the box for "Income taxes were withheld for this sale" to reveal the drop-down boxes for Federal and State taxes you've already paid.

You may have received far less cash from the sale because mortgage payoffs, property taxes, and other pro-rated or loan-related costs are not deducted when calculating gross proceeds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

would
Tabil

The box I have with TurboTax Premier 2019 labeled simply "Proceeds".

There is no box labeled "I  have selling expenses not reported"

I see no way to enter selling expenses.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can add the selling expenses to the basis of your house to reduce the capital gains on the sale of the house.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

3 years later and turbo tax still can't fix their typo?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies