Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter a Qualified Charitable Contribution on my Turbo Tax Return?

How do I enter the QCD on my return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

See the Online screen shots that employee MarilynG1 posted
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-qcd/01/3186042#M732644

After you enter the 1099R keep going. One of the next screens will ask Transfer to Charity? Did you ask the Trustee to transfer all or part of this distribution of $5,000 to a qualified charitable organization?

Then do NOT enter it again under Deductions & Credits.

To qualify as a QCD, the distribution must have taken place DIRECTLY from the account trustee to the charity. It's ok for them to send you a check made out to the Charity that you then mail to the Charity. Withdrawing funds and then making your own contribution to a charity DOES NOT qualify as a QCD. If that was done, then you have a potentially taxable distribution and a potentially deductible charitable contribution.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Enter the 1099-R, exactly as received.  A follow up question, in the interview, will allow you to enter the amount of the Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).  TurboTax (TT) will put the total amount, of the distribution, on line 4a of form 1040, with the net taxable amount on line 4b, with the notation QCD on the dotted line.  

You will not see an actual "deduction" anywhere on the tax form.  For most people, the difference between line 4a and 4b is your "deduction".  However if your IRA had a cost basis (non deductible contributions made in the past), part of the difference will be the tax free part of the distribution due to the basis calculation. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies