Janie18

How do I deduct non-medical expenses (home and child care) due to one of my four children suffering from depression and being hospitalized?

CarolynM

If your child is suffering from depression, the hospital expenses are deducted as medical expenses.

Federal 

Deductions & Credits

For child care, you must meet all of these conditions:

• You (and your spouse, if you are married filing jointly) must have earned income for the tax year.
  • You must be the custodial parent or main caretaker of the child or dependent.
  • The child or dependent care service must have been used so that you could work or look for employment.
  • Your filing status must be single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a qualifying child, or married filing jointly.
  • Your child or dependent must be under 13 or must be disabled and physically or mentally incapable of caring for herself.
  • You must make payments for child and dependent care to someone you (and your spouse) can't claim as a dependent. If you make payments to your child, he or she can't be your dependent and must be age 19 or older by the end of the year. You can't make payments to:

o   Your spouse, or

o   The parent of your qualifying person if your qualifying person is your child and under age 13.

Here is where you enter:

Federal

Deductions & Credits

Scroll to You and Your Family

Select Child and Dependent Care Credit