How do I change from itemized to standard deductions?

Follow the directions below to choose to take the standard deduction rather than the itemized deductions.

1. Log in and click take to my return (unless already in).
  2. Click Tax Tools from the left-side menu.
  3. Select Tools from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click Topic Search, type Standard Deduction and click Go.
  5. On the next screen, Select change my deduction.

Note: TurboTax recommends the deduction that provides the largest refund amount, so it may not be beneficial to change your deduction. Also, married filing separate filers must take the same deduction as their spouse does.

I followed directions to choose the itemized deduction.  Turbotax will NOT enable the change to itemized deductions.  I am single, have over $16000 of itemized deductions vs. $12,200 of standard deduction.  I owe no state income tax so I want to use the sales tax option instead.  Turbotax will not allow this option using the sales tax tables.  Instead it includes what would be allowed for sales tax deduction under personal property tax deduction.  I do not know how to change this and I want my return to be accurate.

Perhaps TurboTax lists $16,000 in potential itemized deductions but you are subject to the $10,000 limitation for state and local taxes?  That is why it is recommending the standard deduction and will not allow you to compute the sales tax option?