Solved: How can I determine if I should just file a simple tax form rather than itemize as in the past? The new $24,000.00 deduction for married filing jointly has me wondering.

The-Singer0

How can I determine if I should just file a simple tax form rather than itemize as in the past? The new $24,000.00 deduction for married filing jointly has me wondering.

Vanessa

You can still enter all of the items you would have in the past and see what it comes to, then if it is not enough, TurboTax will automatically give you the standard deduction. 

However, if the deductions are about the same as last year and they are less than $24,000, you can skip entering them and just take the standard deduction. If they are about the same, look at your 1040 Schedule A from last year and subtract the work-related and other 2% expenses as they are no longer deductible.

Vanessa