Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I alphabetize the list of charitable donations?

Again you are preaching to the choir ... we are just other users and not TT support.  And until Intuit decides to include that option we will have to wait. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe economics since there are fewer MAC users than Windows users. 

Hard to believe since they seem to be updating other features of the Mac versions, some which are much more complicated.  It's not like alphabetizing is a new thing.

Mac

This response does NOT answer or address the original question or additional comments.

Back to why you can't sort, or manually rearrange the charitable donation list?

It seems this is a recurring lament by loyal TTax users.  Can you please work on it?

Thx

HN

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, for reasons never explained, TurboTax does not provide sorting of the Charitable Donations table.  The one place that you can see donations alphabetized is in the Forms Mode list of forms entered - see attached picture.  NOTE THAT THIS IS ONLY FORMS MODE in a desktop software version of TurboTax.y  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you want a nice, neat, alphabetized list outside of It'sDeductible, you can simply select all the rows and columns in the list of your deductions, copy, open the spreadsheet of your choice (I use Apple numbers), put the cursor in the a cell in the first column near or at the top, and paste. Then just get rid of the columns you don't want. And alphabetize, etc.

This little trick works on a surprising number of data tables in web pages. 

If you use the companion tool   IT'S DEDUCTIBLE  then you can sort the charities before you import the info into the TT program.   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/itsdeductible/

Of course for cash donations you can simply make one entry of VARIOUS to enter the annual total since that is all the IRS gets on the Sch A anyway ... only if you are ever audited will you have to provide the actual receipts.  

If you start at the beginning of the thread, you'll see that the point is not to get an alphabetized list just for the sake of it.  We want to be able to enter our annual deductions into a list that's been alphabetized within TurboTax so that each nonprofit is easier to find and we don't waste time searching for each name.  If we could copy and paste the list into another app and then alphabetize and paste it back into TurboTax, that would be one thing.  But it's not like any of us simply want an alphabetized list sitting in Excel.

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

The Schedule A deduction includes Charitable Contribution.  If you don't itemize your deduction, you can claim $300 as adjustment to income.  The lists of charitable organization can not be automatically alphabetized in Turbo Tax. You have to enter manually in alphabetical order.

Thanks for reinforcing this point.  That was the point of my original request to Turbo Tax programmers, i.e., to put an alphabetizing feature into the program.  If you make many charitable donations, you can waste quite a bit of time looking for each donation on the list each year.

Alphabetizing lists should be a standard feature of this program, and should be a routine programming task.  Asking users to use alternate programs to accomplish this task is not what most of us purchasing Turbo Tax are expecting.

For those who haven't bothered to read the original thread, here is the issue we are asking TurboTax to address.

In Year 1, a person donates to 20 nonprofits and enters them into TurboTax.

In Year 2, the person donates to 30 nonprofits, some of which are among the ones donated to previously and some are new. 

Similar in Year 3 and Year 4.

By year 5,  when the person imports their previous year's return into TurboTax, there is a list of 60 nonprofits, which are listed in the order they were entered.  In Year 5, when the person wants to enter their donations, they have to constantly scan the entire list to see if they donated before and if so, to find the nonprofit on the list so as not to reenter it again.  In TurboTax for Windows, the person can easily alphabetize the list so it is easy to scan.  In TurboTax for Mac, one cannot.

That is all.  The question is not about how to print an alphabetized list or how to get a deduction for donations or a workaround through ItsDeduductible or anything other than asking TurboTax to provide the ability to alphabetize the list to make entering donations easier.

And once again I say make ONE entry for the total of all cash donations in the TT program and save yourself all the unneeded data entry and frustration since the IRS never ever sees all this hard work you put in.... it is a total waste of time.   

If you want to make entries as they happen throughout the year then that is what the It's Deductible tool is for so please  use what is available and quit begging for something that will probably never happen in the online program.  

This thread from email:

Re: How can I alphabetize the list of charitable donations?

For those who haven't bothered to read the original thread, here is the issue we are asking TurboTax to address.

In Year 1, a person donates to 20 nonprofits and enters them into TurboTax.

In Year 2, the person donates to 30 nonprofits, some of which are among the ones donated to previously and some are new. 

Similar in Year 3 and Year 4.

By year 5,  when the person imports their previous year's return into TurboTax, there is a list of 60 nonprofits, which are listed in the order they were entered.  In Year 5, when the person wants to enter their donations, they have to constantly scan the entire list to see if they donated before and if so, to find the nonprofit on the list so as not to reenter it again.  In TurboTax for Windows, the person can easily alphabetize the list so it is easy to scan.  In TurboTax for Mac, one cannot.

That is all.  The question is not about how to print an alphabetized list or how to get a deduction for donations or a workaround through ItsDeduductible or anything other than asking TurboTax to provide the ability to alphabetize the list to make entering donations easier.

This reply from TTAX: 

Re: How can I alphabetize the list of charitable donations?

And once again I say make ONE entry for the total of all cash donations in the TT program and save yourself all the unneeded data entry and frustration since the IRS never ever sees all this hard work you put in.... it is a total waste of time.   

If you want to make entries as they happen throughout the year then that is what the It's Deductible tool is for so please  use what is available and quit begging for something that will probably never happen in the online program. 

MY POINT, along with the first summary:

With all due respect--that's a very disparaging response.  If Windows users can have that feature, why not on MAC?  ALSO, the wild work around DOESN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION!!  There are alternatives next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies