Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home sale cost basis question

Hello - We sold our primary residence in 2021.  I'm working on calculating the cost basis, including the improvements made to the home.   When we moved in, the 1922 home had an unfinished, wide open basement.  A contractor installed a bath and laundry room.  With permits, we finished the remainder of the space into an office, rec room, and hallway with closet.  We are not contractors, but we do nice work (if I say so myself).  Our hard costs included electrical materials, framing, drywall, paint and flooring.  Can we include a labor charge for the hours we put in finishing the basement?  If a contractor had finished the basement, we'd be able to deduct labor.  Can we come up with a fair price for our labor and use it on our cost basis calculations?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry no.  Not your own labor.   Just your actual costs out of pocket.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Sorry no.  Not your own labor.   Just your actual costs out of pocket.

No. Your labor can never be included in the cost of a capital improvement. Similarly, your labor can’t be included in the amount of a charitable deduction. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

I assume you are aware that the first $500,000 (Married filing jointly) of capital gains on the sale of your primary  home is usually excludable from your income.  If not reply back for more info.

Thank you, all. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies