petersonamyk

Home Owner (Unmarried)

I own a house with another person. That person claimed it on their taxes. My understanding is that, if he noted it, I can not. Is that correct? We have not been able to in other years, so I just want to double check.

KrisD

Home Owner (Unmarried)

If you both own the home, and both of your names are on the loan, you could split the payments and each claim what you paid towards the mortgage interest and property taxes.

You cannot EACH claim ALL the expenses.

If the other taxpayer already claimed the deductions, the IRS would not allow you to also claim them. If you did, you would need to dispute the other taxpayer's right to claim them.

KrisD

Home Owner (Unmarried)

You cannot EACH claim ALL the expenses.