ecnankram

Hi- my MO e-file status says "incomplete." I think this is because I clicked 'yes' to itemize property tax for a new car which required another form? want to reverse

I don't really know why MO return says "incomplete." Can you tell me what to fix or if this is normal?

mesquitebean

The Missouri state forms are not yet final and are scheduled to become available on January 20.  You will be able to open the return at that time, review it, and correct anything you need to at that time before filing.

The state return can say "incomplete" if you already efiled the Federal return by itself and it has not yet been accepted, or if some of the state forms were not available when you tried to efile it at the same time as efiling the Federal return.  If it says "incomplete", your state return has NOT been efiled.  You will have to come back later to file it.

If you mailed the Federal return, then the State return cannot be efiled.  It would have to be filed by mail, too.

You can check on the availability of state forms here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per... 

If your Federal return has already been efiled, you will have to wait until the Federal return has been accepted before you can efile the State return.    The IRS will not start processing returns until January 23, so soon after that date you should hear if your Federal return is accepted or rejected.  (A few returns will be pulled by the IRS before then for testing purposes so some people may get an early acceptance/rejection notice.)

So once your Federal return has been accepted (if efiled), and once all your state forms are available, you can then go back and open up your State return to complete it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

NOTE:  When you come back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up:
  • Log in and go to the 2016 Tax Timeline.
  • Scroll to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.

mesquitebean

• Scroll to "Some things you can do."