Hi, I am under my F1 visa. I just started a masters program in PA in the year of 2016. I am also working full time at the moment under CPT. Am I exempt for FICA tax?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am under my F1 visa. I just started a masters program in PA in the year of 2016. I am also working full time at the moment under CPT. Am I exempt for FICA tax?

3 Replies
Level 7

since when are you on F1?

The first F1 I received was 2011. And That was for an undergrad program so after I graduated at 2015 I got my OPT and worked for a year. 2016 of June I have exited the country and went back home. I applied for a masters degree and I started my master's degree and got a new F1 visa at October 2016.
Level 7

Non-resident alien students on F1 are exempt from FICA taxes, however, since you were on F1 (including OPT) for more than 5 calendar years, you are not exempt from FICA taxes anymore.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings