Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Health Insurance premium deduction while unemployed

I have read a lot of the other similar questions but I feel I am missing a full understanding of the answers.

While I was employed I paid a share of the health insurance premium. The share I paid was paid with pre-tax dollars, and resulted in a reduced AGI. From the middle of November I was not employed. I chose to continue my health insurance by electing Cobra. I paid a total of $2,846.68 in Cobra premiums in 2019 while I was unemployed. If I try to claim this as a medical expense it makes no difference due to the 10% rule, for the ten months of the year that I was employed I earned more than $28,466.80.

Can I claim the health insurance premiums as a deduction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your COBRA premiums under Medical Expenses.  However, you are correct about the 10% limitation; you can only deduct the amount that is over 10% of your income. 

So unless you have other deductions as well, like Mortgage Interest, Real Estate Tax, Charitable Donations, that totalled would put you over the Standard Deduction amount ($12,200 for Single), you will not get the benefit of deducting your premiums.

Click the link for more info on Deducting COBRA Premiums.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I do not understand is why when I am employed the cost of health insurance premiums are treated one way and it is easy to deduct (When employed the premium is paid with pre-tax dollars). When you are unemployed the ability to deduct the premium is nigh on impossible. It just does not make sense, I cannot believe this is the way the tax law was meant to be interpreted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies