Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting the US and Canadian Turbo Tax programs talking to each other

I'm a US ex-pat now a permanent resident of Canada.  That means I have to file US and Canadian income tax returns, each reporting my worldwide income, and I have to calculate US and Canada foreign tax credits so I'm not double taxed and each country gets what it's due.  So far I've used TurboTax US products to prepare my US returns and TurboTax Canadian products to prepare my Canadian returns.  These products apparently do not interface with each other, so I end up doing a lot of double entries, and it's very difficult to run sensitivities that determine whether my total tax liability would go up or down if, for example, I changed how my wife's pension income is divided between her and me.  Does anyone know a way to get the US and Canada programs to talk with each other?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

You might want to contact Support.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

I plan to contact support next week.  Before I do that, I thought I'd see if any users had experiences or suggestions to share.

The programs cannot and will not "talk" to each other.  Any necessary info from one program must be entered in the other as needed.

That's disappointing.  I like TurboTax products, but other providers offer software specifically designed for expats filing US tax returns.  If I'm going to have to manually transcribe figures whichever way I go, I may well choose someone else for my IRS filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies