Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jatwell1

I have a photography business, and while on vacation I took time out to take some nature and landscape photos, that I plan on printing for sale. can I deduct any expenses

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

I have a photography business, and while on vacation I took time out to take some nature and landscape photos, that I plan on printing for sale. can I deduct any expenses

From your information, generally, you would not be able to deduct travel, lodging, meals, etc. Per Publication 463 - IRS.gov  page 6: If your trip was primarily for personal reasons, such as a vacation, the entire cost of the trip is a nondeductible personal expense. However, you can deduct any expenses you have while at your destination that are directly related to your business.

Travel expenses defined. For tax purposes, travel expenses are the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home for your business, profession, or job.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenaC

From your information, generally, you would not be able to deduct travel, lodging, meals, etc. Per Publication 463 - IRS.gov  page 6: If your trip was primarily for personal reasons, such as a vacation, the entire cost of the trip is a nondeductible personal expense. However, you can deduct any expenses you have while at your destination that are directly related to your business.

Travel expenses defined. For tax purposes, travel expenses are the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home for your business, profession, or job.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies