Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8962 incorrect FPL used for family size 2

Hello experts,

I was modeling different tax scenarios when I discovered a peculiarity with form 8962.  With a family size of 2 the FPL on line 4 is $17,420 which is 2021 FPL number.  I expected it to be $18,310 for a family of 2 for 2022. After all, I'm modeling 2022 tax year.   This is important because the threshold for 400% FPL is lower and thus the repayment limitation of $2,800 goes away with a lower AGI.

I'm up to date with my software.  Can anyone give me a reason why FPL for Turbo Tax calculation is $17,420 and not $18,310 as I would expect.

Thanks for any input provided.

Dave

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@delta_hotel wrote:

Can anyone give me a reason why FPL for Turbo Tax calculation is $17,420 and not $18,310 as I would expect.

TurboTax is using the correct amount. The reason that TurboTax is using the 2021 poverty level figure is that that's what the IRS instructions say to use. The 2022 IRS Instructions for Form 8962 line 4, at the top of page 7, say "For 2022, the 2021 federal poverty lines are used for this purpose and are shown below."

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Read the instructions for that form. The 2021 figure is used for 2022 returns. 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8962.pdf

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@delta_hotel wrote:

Can anyone give me a reason why FPL for Turbo Tax calculation is $17,420 and not $18,310 as I would expect.

TurboTax is using the correct amount. The reason that TurboTax is using the 2021 poverty level figure is that that's what the IRS instructions say to use. The 2022 IRS Instructions for Form 8962 line 4, at the top of page 7, say "For 2022, the 2021 federal poverty lines are used for this purpose and are shown below."

Thank you for your answer.   As you pointed out, the FPL used for tax purposes is from the prior tax year.   Not sure I understand the logic since we already know the 2023 FPL number.   It is clear from the instructions to use the prior tax year so that is what I will do!

Thanks again.

Dave

dmertz
Level 15

The FPL is a factor in determining the APTC.  Because the current-year FPL is not published until after the beginning of the current year, the current-year FPL is not available in time to be used for the current-year calculations which need to be done prior to the beginning of the current year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies