Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tbosteve
Returning Member

Form 8938 foreign financial assets - Credits and Deductions DEFINITION

Form 8938 asks that you list and Deductions and Credits in addition to Interest, Gains/Losses, Dividends etc.

What does the IRS consider to be a Credit?  I added funds to my overseas brokerage account.  Is that a "credit" to my account?  If I list that, it then asks for WHERE in my tax return I reported that credit (Form number and Line number).  If I got the money from my job, then do I put the line that recorded my payroll???

I think I am not interpreting the "Credit" entry correctly but I cannot find any other info as to what this is asking for/about. Does "credits" here mean something else?

Any clarification from someone who actually knows what this "credit" and "deduction" means on the Form 8938 would be incredibly helpful.  Thanks in advance.

-Steve

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Maybe the form  instructions would be helpful : https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8938

tbosteve
Returning Member

Yes, that was the first thing I read.  It does not specify what a credit or a deduction is or how it is defined.  Did YOU see anything in the IRS instructions that answers my question?

What line is in question ?  

tbosteve
Returning Member

This is the sum total of the IRS instructions regarding credits and deductions:

Part III. Summary of Tax Items Attributable to Specified Foreign Financial Assets

Enter the following items for your total assets reported in Part V or Part VI and the schedule, form, or return on which you reported the items.

• Interest.

• Dividends.

• Royalties.

• Other income.

• Gains or (losses).

• Deductions.

• Credits.

My question was as to how these are defined and accounted for.  If I make a deposit, it that a credit?  Or only if it was earned income of some sort?  If cash deposits are considered credits, then do I need to specify my job income line on my 1040 as the source?

For someone as myself who actually did read through the IRS instructions in detail, do you have any substantive guidance on this other than "read the instructions"?

The deductions and credits are  referring to the same on your form 1040 that have a direct correlation to the assets being listed ... almost no one will have anything to enter on these lines.  

tbosteve
Returning Member

Thank you. That is very helpful.

So I misinterpreted what "credits" meant.  They do not apply to cash deposits made to the account.

Thanks you for your assistance here.

-Steve

When I read the instructions, I interpreted credits to mean "tax credits" related to the assets.  For example,  foreign tax credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies