turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhinugent

Form 8889-t health savings account

I clicked remind me to do it later and now it says the IRS has not yet approved the form I'm confused what happened to it.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 8889 is required if you had contributions to or withdrawals from an HSA.  It is scheduled to be released in an update on 1/26.  If you don't include the form, the IRS will assume that your withdrawals or contributions were not allowed, and will send you a bill for additional taxes and penalties.  At that point you will have to pay the bill or send them an amended return to fix the problem. 

If you asked for a reminder, turbotax should email you when the form is ready.

View solution in original post

36 Replies

I need this form to finish my return

i don't know how to fill out my 8889-t form

me either!!

I do not need the 8889 form
tm101555

entered wrong account number

Form 8889 is required if you had contributions to or withdrawals from an HSA.  It is scheduled to be released in an update on 1/26.  If you don't include the form, the IRS will assume that your withdrawals or contributions were not allowed, and will send you a bill for additional taxes and penalties.  At that point you will have to pay the bill or send them an amended return to fix the problem. 

If you asked for a reminder, turbotax should email you when the form is ready.

Why can I get Form 8889 on the IRS website but it's not updated here in Turbotax??  I don't want to wait until 1/26!  I want to file today!

The IRS approved the form late.  Then it has to go to the programmers at turbotax who have to program and test it.  Then turbotax's use of the form has to be tested and approved by the IRS.  Then it gets added to the next scheduled program update.  Turbotax releases updates about once a week, if they released updates faster than that, it would be a quality control problem.   Remember that between Mac, PC, and online they have about 15 versions that need updating at the same time.

I want to do the same!!!! I found the form on the IRS website!!!!! This is a big downfall to turbotax! I am going to check out H&R block.

This delay can easily cost me $2000 of my refund. I need to file quickly because I have an ex who refuses to adhere to the court agreement that allows me to claim my son every other year. I wait, I lose and the IRS is of no help when it comes to this court order. I think I'll see if H&R Block will let me file today...

The parent who has custody more than half the nights of the year is the only parent entitled to claim custody.  The IRS does not honor court orders, it goes by number of nights the child lived with you.  If you are the parent where the child lived more than half the nights of the year, then just print your return and mail it in. The IRS should investigate and award you the exemption.  On the other hand, if you do not have custody more than half the nights of the year, then you are not entitled to anything.  And if you jump on it and claim first to beat the electronic system, all your ex has to do is to print their return and mail it in, and the IRS will investigate and take away all your benefits.  So be cautious.

You are right, the IRS does not honor court orders which is beyond stupid. The court tells her what years she can claim and what years I can claim, it relies on honesty and integrity. Sadly there is none so this game is played.

You can sue her in family court if she won't honor the agreement, but the IRS (being federal) does not have to follow state rules.  Divorce attorneys and judges should be required to take courses in tax law.

Yes, had I known that the IRS does not follow the state agreement the terms would have been different. You are so right, the attorneys and judges really should know tax law.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies