Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kteschendorf11
Returning Member

FORM 8862; AMENDED RETURN; TAX ADVOCATE...

I HAD REQUESTED, FOR MY TURBOTAX FULL-SERVICE TAX PREPARER, TO COMPLETE FORM 8862, BUT HE EXPLAINED THAT IT WAS UNNECESSARY, TO COMPLETE IT, AGAIN, SINCE I HAVE COMPLETED IT, EVERY YEAR (AFTER 2016), AND IT, ONLY, NEEDED TO BE COMPLETED, ONE TIME. APPARENTLY, THE IRS WAS REQUESTING THE FORM, AGAIN, ACCORDING TO THE LOCAL IRS TAX OFFICE, EVEN THOUGH, I HAD NOT RECEIVED A NOTICE/LETTER, FROM THE IRS, NOR DID IT READ THAT MY TAX RETURN HAD BEEN PROCESSED, AS OF YET, ON THE IRS WEBSITE.

THEREFORE, I RETURNED TO TURBOTAX, AND THE TURBOTAX REPRESENTATIVE STATED THAT WE NEEDED TO AMEND MY RETURN, IN ORDER TO INCLUDE THE FORM 8862. MIND YOU, IT READ THAT IT WAS ACCEPTED, ON THE TURBOTAX WEBSITE, BEFORE THE FORM 8862 WAS SUBMITTED, WITH THE AMENDED RETURN, EVEN THOUGH, IT DID NOT REFLECT, "ACCEPTED", ON THE IRS SITE.

MY RETURN WAS AMENDED, AND ACCEPTED (AT LEAST, THE TURBOTAX WEBSITE REFLECTED THE ACCEPTANCE, ON THE DAY, WHICH WE COMPLETING THE AMENDED RETURN). THE NEXT DAY, MY FULL-SERVICE TAX PREPARER, FOR THE AMENDED RETURN (DIFFERENT FROM THE FIRST TAX PREPARER), INSTRUCTED ME TO MAIL MY AMENDED TAX RETURN, TO THE IRS, BECAUSE THE TURBOTAX SYSTEM WAS NSTRUCTING, FOR ME, TO DO SO. THE TURBOTAX WEBSITE, STILL, REFLECTS THAT I SHOULD MAIL MY AMENDED TAX RETURN.

FIRST QUESTION:  DID TURBOTAX NEED TO AMEND MY RETURN, IN ORDER TO SUBMIT FORM 8862?

SECOND QUESTION:  IF AMENDING MY RETURN WAS THE ACCURATE METHOD, FOR SUBMITTING FORM 8862, THEN, AM I REQUIRED TO MAIL THE AMENDED RETURN, TO THE IRS?

THIRD QUESTION:  WHY DID TURBOTAX ASSURE ME THAT MY INITIAL TAX RETURN FILING WAS ACCEPTED, IF THE FORM WAS NEEDED?

FOURTH QUESTION:  WAS I INFORMED, CORRECTLY, ABOUT THE 8862 FORM BEING REQUIRED, BY THE LOCAL IRS TAX OFFICE, IF I NEVER RECEIVED A NOTICE, AND MY TAX RETURN NEVER HAD SHOWN TO BE PROCESSED? *I HAD VISITED THE TAX OFFICE, TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE DELAY AND TO INQUIRE ABOUT THE INFORMATION, WHICH MY TAX ADVOCATE HAD PROVIDED (UP NEXT).

AS MENTIONED, ABOVE, HOW I DISCOVERED THAT THE 8862 FORM WAS BEING REQUIRED, WAS BY TAKING A TRIP, TO MY LOCAL IRS TAX OFFICE. MY INCOME TAX RETURN WAS READING THAT IT HAD BEEN RECEIVED, ON THE IRS WEBSITE, BUT NOT PROCESSED, AND I HAD BECOME CONCERNED, AFTER FOUR WEEKS OF PROCESSING, WITHOUT CHANGE IN STATUS. AS WELL, I MADE A TRIP, TO THE TAX OFFICE, BECAUSE MY IRS TAX ADVOCATE (WHEN, I WAS ABLE TO REACH HER, AFTER SOME TIME), HAD TOLD ME THAT THERE WAS AN IRS DEPARTMENT, WHICH WAS QUESTIONING INFORMATION, ON MY TAX RETURN (RIBO, RPO...?). SHE TOLD ME, I WOULD RECEIVE A LETTER, IN THE MAIL, AND TO RESPOND. I EXPLAINED THAT I AM SET-UP, TO RECEIVE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION, FROM THE IRS, AND I ATTEMPTED TO STRESS, TO MY ADVOCATE, THAT THERE IS NOT A NEW LETTER, ON THE IRS WEBSITE. SHE INSTRUCTED, FOR ME, TO AWAIT THE LETTER'S RECEIPT, IN THE MAIL...EVEN THOUGH, SHE KNOWS, I WILL NOT RECEIVE IT, FOR I AM HOMELESS AND LIVE IN MY CAR.

ONE OF THE REASONS, I REQUESTED A TAX ADVOCATE, IS TO ASSIST IN THE RECEIPT, OF MY TAX REFUND...AND IN A TIMELY MANNER. MY TAX REFUND WOULD BE OFFSET, IF I DID NOT OBTAIN THE ASSISTANCE, OF TAS (TAX ADVOCATE SERVICE). THE IRS, INACCURATELY, BELIEVES THAT I SHOULD OWE MONEY, FROM THE 2016 TAX YEAR (THE NEXT TASK TO TACKLE).  THE IRS IS UNDER THE MISUNDERSTANDING THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE CLAIMED MY CHILDREN, IN 2016, AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO CLAIM MY CHILDREN, SINCE.

WHAT THE IRS WANTED TO KNOW (DURING THE 2016 TAX YEAR) WAS HOW I WAS SUPPORTING MY CHILDREN, WITHOUT AN ACCEPTABLE INCOME (ACCORDING TO THE IRS). I PROVIDED ALL WHICH WAS REQUESTED, BY THE DEADLINE, TO THE IRS, BUT THE IRS CLAIMS THAT I WAS A FEW DAYS LATE (I HAVE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION, FOR WHEN MY TAX ADVOCATE IS ABLE TO ASSIST...). THE ADVOCATE, I AM WORKING WITH, SET INTO PLACE AN OBR (OFFSET BYPASS REFUND); WITHOUT THE OBR, MY REFUND WOULD BE OFFSET, TO THE 2016 TAX YEAR DEBT. I LOST MY APARTMENT, LAST YEAR, WHEN MY REFUND WAS OFFSET, BECAUSE MY FUNDS WERE MUCH NEEDED, FOR LIVING EXPENSES, AND THIS YEAR, I REQUIRE MY TAX REFUND, IN ORDER TO OBTAIN A NEW RESIDENCE.

I CANNOT STRESS THE URGENCY, WITH RECEIVING MY REFUND. I LOST AN APARTMENT OPPORTUNITY, LAST WEEK, WHICH WAS TO BE MY NEW HOME, BUT THE LANDLORD COULD NOT WAIT, ANY LONGER, FOR THE MOVE-IN COSTS, TO BE PAID. ONCE AGAIN, I LOSE A HOME...THIS LEADS TO MY FIFTH QUESTION.

FIFTH QUESTION:  WHY AM I REQUIRED, TO COMPLETE FORM 8862, EACH YEAR, WHEN CLAIMING EARNED INCOME CREDIT, WITHOUT A QUALIFYING CHILD?

SIXTH QUESTION:  WHY WOULD MY TAX ADVOCATE TELL ME TO WAIT, FOR THE IRS NOTICE LETTER, INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING WHAT THE CONTENT, OF THE LETTER, COULD BE? TO ADD, I READ THAT A TAX ADVOCATE HAS THE AUTHORITY TO REQUEST AN EXPEDITED TAX REFUND, WHEN THE TAXPAYER IS FACED WITH CERTAIN HARDSHIPS...I WONDER WHY MY TAX ADVOCATE HAS NOT REQUESTED AN EXPEDITED REFUND...

*SUBMITTING, WITHOUT REREADING

*MORE QUESTIONS, TO FOLLOW...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

1. If your return was submitted and accepted without form 8862 then it would have had to be amended in order to submit form 8862.  

2. I'm not sure why the return had to be mailed in.  Form 8862 isn't required to be mailed but there may have been other forms that were included with your return that required mailing.

3. 'Accepted' by the IRS just means that they received it and are processing it.  It doesn't tell TurboTax anything about the results.  If the IRS doesn't like the return they can first accept it and then send a letter to the taxpayer asking for more information.  All TurboTax knows is whether the IRS system has accepted the return for processing - not whether or not they like it.

4. I'm not sure why you hadn't received a notice yet about the form being required.  The IRS can often be slow moving and it's possible that a notice that tells you to submit form 8862 is still on the way.  

5. Form 8862 is required to be filed by someone who attempted to claim a credit in the past and was told by the IRS that they were not eligible to do so.  In your case you said that you attempted to claim the earned income credit at one point and were rejected for it and so you will need to file form 8862 every time you want to claim the earned income credit.

6. The letter would indicate that the IRS was done with your return and that they were sure about everything that they needed from you.  Your taxpayer advocate wanted you to wait for the letter because if they wanted something else in addition to the 8862 and you submitted the amended return only with that form added then you would just be waiting even longer.

@kteschendorf11 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kteschendorf11
Returning Member

*Thank you for your response. The past few weeks have brought about more struggles, with what should have been a simple tax return preparation. After the FORM 8862 was not submitted, with my tax return, I could Not contact my, original, tax preparer, and I was routed to a new tax preparer. She is a doll, but she is new, and she did not complete the FORM 8862, accurately.

Then, she attempted to amend my return, a 2nd time (2nd Amended Return), and the TURBOTAX system will Not allow, for the 2nd Amended Return, to be sent, electronically...but I Cannot print the Amended Return, in order to mail it, because the return will, only, print as a copy...unless, I amend the return, myself, and print it, when completed (still homeless and without a desktop, etc...). Along with the need for a desktop and printer, I will require an address, for the IRS, to send my refund to, because (apparently) I will no longer be able to receive my refund, via direct deposit.

Additionally, my Amended Return, with the Inaccurately completed FORM 8862 (in IRS possession), does Not reflect that I should be receiving a refund, due to how my 2nd Full-Service Tax Professional completed the amendment. She completed the Amended Tax Return, where the return does Not reflect a refund due. She stated that my Amended Return is, only, requiring a form, therefore, it does Not need to reflect that I should receive a refund... due to the original return, having the refund reflected, within it.

MY QUESTION:  WHAT DO I DO?

The IRS has an amended return, which does Not reflect a refund due and has an Incorrectly completed FORM 8862...and I might Not be able to receive my refund, period, because I do Not have an address...and I Cannot reach my tax advocate, for 5 weeks, now...and I NEVER received a letter, from the IRS...and I might need to find my way, to the library, with money, to complete, and print, my own amended return (3rd Amended Return)...but what am I to do, if I Cannot receive my refund, through direct deposit means...a lot going on, here....

Please, respond at your earliest convenience. Thank You. Have a Terrific Day.

Many Thanks,

Kendra Teschendorf

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You should go to your nearest IRS office and make an appointment to see someone there.  When you are at your appointment you need to explain everything to the IRS agent there and they should be able to submit your amended corrected return at that point.  

You will still need an address to send the refund to.  You may have to work with a shelter or rent a post office box in order to get that taken care of.

@kteschendorf11 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies