turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 5695

So I installed new energy star windows and doors in 2018. Last year I entered this in turbo tax but received no credit. This is due to my tax liability being positive (refund). I now owe taxes this year and try to claim the 2018 as a carryover. I look at the form 5695 and see no mention of the carry over. 

Reading the IRS site for the form, it looks like it is a retroactive change so I must submit a 1040-X with an amended form 5695 for 2018 so I can claim in 2019. Does TT have this option built in or how do I proceed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Form 5695

No, if you have a tax liability, you can use the credit carry forward.

In order to ensure the carry forward is entered into your return:

1. Go to the Federal section
  2. Select "Deductions & Credits"
  3. Scroll through all tax breaks until you see the section titled "Your Home."
  4. To the right of "Home Energy Credits", select revisit

Answer the questions as prompted.  You will get to a screen which starts asking for information regarding carryforwards from prior years.  Enter the information as it applies to your situation.

Initial entry

Pay attention to the questions as they start with 2019 information and then go into improvements from prior years.  The information requested for the prior years will show you the year, Form 5695, and the applicable line number.

Prior year windows

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 5695

Thanks for the quick response. That screen you show for entering the previous years expense only goes up to 2016. Since my expense was in 2018, I have no option to enter to 2018 expense.

What I referenced for submitting an amended return came from the following IRS document. It is mid way down the first column.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf

Form 5695

You are correct, you need to amend your 2018 tax return.

That credit did not exist when you originally filed your 2018 tax return, which is why you did not receive a credit.  But Congress has retroactively added it, so you can now amend your 2018 tax return to claim the credit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 5695

That brings me back to one of my original questions. I checked for updates in the 2018 TT program and completing the built in 1040x still does not provide the credit. Maybe TT has yet to add the update to the 2018 program.

Form 5695

@Anonymous wrote:

That brings me back to one of my original questions. I checked for updates in the 2018 TT program and completing the built in 1040x still does not provide the credit. Maybe TT has yet to add the update to the 2018 program.

The IRS has not updated the 2018 Form 5695 or the form instructions.  Until the IRS has updated their forms, TurboTax cannot update the forms in the 2018 software.

Bman2

Form 5695

The 2018 5695 form is updated as of Feb 2020. Pulled the document to confirm

Form 5695

@Bman2 wrote:

See this TurboTax support FAQ for a 2018 Form 5695 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-taxes-to-claim-energy-credits/01/2...

Form 5695

@Bman2 wrote:

Found this Support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return that includes tax extenders - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/2018-extenders-passed-under-taxpayer-certainty-and...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 5695

Thanks. I have been checking periodically. Crossing my fingers that TT updates the 2018 software so I don't have to fill these out completely by myself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies