Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JPG6
Level 2

Form 5695 & Amending a return

Hi

I started working on my federal return in late January. I plugged in information for form 5695 for credits for window replacements and air conditioner replacement. When I attempted to E file, it told me that 5695 was not completely ready as the feds were still finalizing it. It said that it would be ready on 2/7. After this date passed, I opened the turbotax desktop software, and efiled. Printed my return to PDF. A couple days later, I was looking through the PDF and noticed that 5695 was not included. I opened the software, went tot he credit section and verified that the $ amounts were filed it. Upon closing that section, I noticed the refund had gone up $1200.

I received my original refund amount. Opened the software to file and amended return. The software thinks I filed a return with the 5695 form, and the higher amount.

How do I go about telling the software that it was not part of the return so i can file the ammendment using the software?

I don't have a turbotax file with the lower refund. Already looked for that.

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Did you save your file after you e-filed it? TurboTax doesn't do this for you, but the option is available from the Tools menu. If you don't have a .tax2023 file to restore to your account, you'll need to delete the amended information.

1. Log out of TurboTax and clear your cache and cookies.
  2. Log back into TurboTax.
  3. Open your return until you see a full menu in the left column. You may need to click "Add a State" to open your return (this doesn't add anything, it simply opens your return).
  4. From the left menu, select Cancel Amend.
  5. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return and Continue.
  6. Now undo any changes you made to your return before or after the amend process was canceled.
  7. Go to Tax Tools >> Tools >> "Save your 20XX return to your computer."
  8. If you wish to try amending your return again, make whatever changes you need and continue to amend.

For more help, please see:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

You basically need to restore the e-filed return, delete Form 5695, and re-enter it when you amend. 

This is a complex and tedious process, and you may consider upgrading to TurboTax Live. This online service provides step-by-step guidance from a tax expert whenever you need assistance, either over the phone or by screensharing.

JPG6
Level 2

Hi

Thank you for the reply. When you say restore the e-filed return, is there an electronic/automated way to do that? Since I don't have any files that do not contain the 5695, I am assuming you are saying I need to redo my return from scratch. Do you agree with that?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Did you save your file after you e-filed it? TurboTax doesn't do this for you, but the option is available from the Tools menu. If you don't have a .tax2023 file to restore to your account, you'll need to delete the amended information.

1. Log out of TurboTax and clear your cache and cookies.
  2. Log back into TurboTax.
  3. Open your return until you see a full menu in the left column. You may need to click "Add a State" to open your return (this doesn't add anything, it simply opens your return).
  4. From the left menu, select Cancel Amend.
  5. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return and Continue.
  6. Now undo any changes you made to your return before or after the amend process was canceled.
  7. Go to Tax Tools >> Tools >> "Save your 20XX return to your computer."
  8. If you wish to try amending your return again, make whatever changes you need and continue to amend.

For more help, please see:

JPG6
Level 2

Greatly appreciate the detailed instructions. Although not exactly the same as my desktop app, I was able to get through the process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies