Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040 from last year shows my daughter did not qualify for the child tax credit, only the “other dependents” credit. Why is that? We meet all requirements.

I am on a 10-99 with an income that meets the requirements for the child tax credit. My daughter is 2 years old, has an SSN, was not claimed by her other parent, and I still did not qualify for the child tax credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Form 1040 from last year shows my daughter did not qualify for the child tax credit, only the “other dependents” credit. Why is that? We meet all requirements.

Was your child born in 2021?   When you prepared your 2021 return did you say that she lived with you the WHOLE year?  Did you enter her Social Security number?   If she was born in 2021 it is important to say she lived with you the whole year.   You can amend your 2021 return to get the child tax credit.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

You also mention something about ".....was not claimed by her other parent."   Provide some details....are you sure about that?   Are you and the other parent living together with the child?  Did both of you put information about her on your tax returns?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies