turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit on Sale of Property - Why is Turbo Tax Asking First Year you are Eligible?

I am entering Foreign Tax Credit for the Taxes I have paid on Sale of property in a foreign Country.

Why is Turbo Tax going into AMT screen and asking First Year you are eligible? Next screen is 

Elect Simplified Method.

This is a simple Sale of property and I am nowhere near the AMT $ amount.

Can someone help me on this I am going in circles.

Thanks in Advance

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Foreign Tax Credit on Sale of Property - Why is Turbo Tax Asking First Year you are Eligible?

@dhirenk2003 , assuming that you are US citizen/Resident ( Green Card )/ Resident for tax purposes, you are taxed on world income.  Thus  sale of property/ asset is taxed  and therefore TurboTax will go through AMT questions ---  please tell me more about the sale of property:

1. How did you acquire the prop --- buy / inheritance

2. How did you use the property -- own residence / residence of relatives ( i.e personal use / 2nd home )/ rental income

3. when did you acquire , when did you dispose of the prop, did you sell to a relative or at arm's length

4. did you have to pay capitals gain  to the foreign taxing authority ( India ? ), and other expenses such as transfer taxes etc.   Note that some countries like India  uses indexing before computing capital gains and the longterm rules are different -- US does not use indexing  and therefore  capital gains  may be different  for US tax purposes.

Namaste

pk

Thanks for your response.

Here is my reply to your qs:

1. I bought the property(condo) when I was a resident of India. (20 years back) for my own residence.

It was not a rental - locked and sitting there.

2. Sold in 2019- on the market.

3. I paid Long Term Cap Gains tax in India.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies