Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Foreign Tax Credit - Navigating TurboTax

When working on the foreign tax credit section, I list my countries & RIC that match what is on my brokerage statements. It then tells me that I have reporting $X of total income from [Brokerage1] and this matches the sum of my dividends and capital gain distributions from my 1099-DIV.

The next section asks about entering income and deductions for AMT purposes (because I have previously filed Form 1116 for AMT purposes and must continue doing so). I select passive income because that's correct for dividends. I select the country and it asks for other gross income received from sources within the country (not including income already entered on 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, Form 2555, or Schedules K-1).

1. Should I be entering capital gains associated with the sale of ADRs (such as Nissan in Japan)?
  2. If I have a gain and a loss on two different RIC investments, do I list only the gain on this "Other Gross Income" page and then list the capital gain loss on the "Foreign Losses" page (as a positive value)?

At first I did not include the capital gains because I do not believe I paid foreign taxes on the capital gains (only the dividends) but TurboTax has a screen, "Any foreign source qualified dividends or long-term capital gains" and when I removed the non-qualified dividends and added the long-term (net?) capital gains, it told me that the number I entered on the "Foreign qualified dividends and l.t. capital gains" exceeds the value carried forward by the program on the "Total foreign income for this category." So... that's why I am under the impression that I need to add the capital gains and losses on the previous pages.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Foreign Tax Credit - Navigating TurboTax

1. Should I be entering capital gains associated with the sale of ADRs (such as Nissan in Japan)?  Yes, you will need to include ALL income types from ALL sources on your return.
  2. If I have a gain and a loss on two different RIC investments, do I list only the gain on this "Other Gross Income" page and then list the capital gain loss on the "Foreign Losses" page (as a positive value)?  You would enter the RIC in the category it belongs in.  So, if you have a gain on one and a loss on the other, then yes, you would enter one in the gain section and one in the loss section. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies