turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm confused by the labeling on the screen where I enter Foreign Tax Credit Carryover - can you explain it?

I'm doing my own taxes for the first time in 35+ years.  All was going well until I reached the point where I need to enter the foreign tax credit carryover.  According to my professionally prepared 2015 tax return, I have a carryover for 2016.

The problem I'm having is that the descriptive field labels on my 2015 1040 do not match the labels on the TurboTax window.  TurboTax uses these field labels: Year, Foreign Taxes, Amount Disallowed, and Amount Used.  My 2015 1040 uses these labels: Year, Foreign Taxes Available, Maximum Credit Allowable, and Unused (+) or Excess (-).

Is Maximum Credit Allowable (from the 2015 1040) the same as Amount Disallowed?  (It doesn't sound like it is.)  Is Unused or Excess (from 1040) the same as Amount Used on the TurboTax screen?

This is the first spot where I've found a confusing disconnect between the TurboTax terminology and the 1040 2015 labeling.  Thanks for helping out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm confused by the labeling on the screen where I enter Foreign Tax Credit Carryover - can you explain it?

"Foreign Tax available" = "Foreign Taxes".

"Maximum Credit Allowable" = "Amount Used".

"Disallowed" remains blank as it  refers to boycott operations.

"Unused (+)" is the carryover from 2015.  It will appear on line 10 of form 1116. It is not entered on that table.  It simply is "Foreign Taxes" - "Amount Used".

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Foreign Tax available" = "Foreign Taxes".

"Maximum Credit Allowable" = "Amount Used".

"Disallowed" remains blank as it  refers to boycott operations.

"Unused (+)" is the carryover from 2015.  It will appear on line 10 of form 1116. It is not entered on that table.  It simply is "Foreign Taxes" - "Amount Used".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies